Frequently Asked Questions
What are your candles made out of?
We use all-natural soy wax and cotton wicks to make each candle. Soy wax is a vegetable wax made from the oil of soybeans. After harvesting, the beans are cleaned, cracked, de-hulled, and rolled into flakes. The oil is then extracted from the flakes and hydrogenated.
The hydrogenation process converts some of the fatty acids in the oil from unsaturated to saturated. This process dramatically alters the melting point of the oil, making it solid at room temperature. The leftover bean husks are commonly used as animal feed.
Soy wax candles have many advantages: an extended burn time, no unsightly black soot, and a reputation as a desirable, naturally-derived product.
The wick is constructed from natural flat cotton threads interwoven with paper threads. The consistent flame and slight curl of the wicks work well with natural waxes and ensures an even burn. These wicks are lead and zinc free.
Why do you have to cure your candles for two weeks?
Since we use 100% soy wax, our candles have to "cure" to have the fragrance oil soak into the soy wax to have a stronger candle scent. The maximum cure time is two weeks.
Are all of the candles made by one person?
Yes. The candles are made by our owner, Monica. She also makes the labels, website updates, takes the website pictures, does the advertising, marketing, and everything else involved with Scorpio Candle Co.
What are your candle burn times?
Our 10 oz candle burn time is 70 hours, depending on how long (i.e., 4 hours compared to all day) you burn them. Burn times are an estimate and can be greatly affected by the environment in which the candle is used.
Why can’t I smell my candle?
Here are some tips:
- Be sure to burn your candle for a minimum of 4 hours so that you get a full melt pool (when you burn your candle and the entire top turns liquid) which, helps with smelling the scent and gives an even burn with no tunneling (burning in one spot/down the middle).
- Keep in mind the room size your candle(s) is in. Small candles are great for small rooms (i.e., bedroom, bathroom, etc.). Large candles that have two or three wicks are great for larger rooms (living room, kitchen, basement, etc. As a result, small candles take longer to fill a large room because the fragrance has a larger area to fill.
- You may be nose blind, which means you have been burning your candle(s) for a long time and are used to the scent. This makes you believe the scent is no longer present. If this happens, step away from the candle for about 20 minutes and then go back into the room to see if you are able to smell the candle's scent. Another tip is, if you have coffee, take a few sniffs of the coffee grinds which helps with neutralizing your nose.
Do you make custom orders?
Yes, we do! Whether it is one candle, a pie, or wholesale order, we make it! We also make party favors for events such as Anniversaries, Birthdays, Baby Showers, Holiday Gatherings, Weddings, and any other event you could think of.
Candles and wax melts make for great party favors for your guest and will create a lasting memory of your event.
For custom orders, please email [email protected].com at least one month in advance of the event to provide the theme and receive pricing.
Do you make wholesale orders?
Yes, we do! Please email [email protected] at least one month in advance of the event to place a wholesale order and receive pricing.
- Candles are safe when burned properly, responsibly, and according to the directions located on the warning label placed on the bottom of each candle jar.
- It is important to remember that a burning candle is an open flame, and thus a potential fire hazard if not monitored carefully.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Trim wicks to ¼ inch prior to each use.
- Keep candles away from drafts and vents.
- Place your candle on a stable, heat-resistant surface. (We sell candle coasters)
- Do not touch the hot wax.
**Scorpio Candle Co. is not responsible for user misuse and negligence.**
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] or you can use the contact page to send us a note.
Thank you for your support of our small business! We appreciate you!